West Bengal University of Technology (WBUT), Kolkata was established in 2000. It started functioning with the assumption of office of the first vice chancellor in 2001 as a sequel to the promulgation of the West Bengal University of Technology act 2000; under the West Bengal Act XV of 2000 passed by the West Bengal legislature and published in the Calcutta Gazette (extraordinary) wide publication dated in 2000. The act contemplates a General Council (GC), an Executive Council (EC), an Academic Council (AC), Finance Committee and an Advisory Council as its regulatory and advisory bodies.
The mission of the university is to organise undergraduate courses of study in engineering and technology, especially in emerging technologies and to develop centres of excellence for higher studies and research in basic and applied sciences, engineering, technology and management education. The vision of the university is to accord affiliation and to provide academic support and guidance in science, engineering, technology and management, to institutions within the jurisdiction of the University.
- The management system of the university is compact and responsive to global changes in technology.
- It has intimate and collaborative linkages with national and international research institutes, universities and the industry.
- Functions related to affiliated technical, engineering and management institutes would be managed under a pro-vice chancellor so that such functions did not hamper the higher academic activities of the University.
- The teaching staff includes, besides the core faculty, visiting faculty, adjunct faculty members and distinguished visitors from the industry and front line academic and research institutes of the country and abroad.
- The university has an international centre to organise national and international seminars, as well as, conferences and lectures by International experts in different fields of sciences and technology.
- The post-graduate study and research are emphasised for the grooming of scientist engineers and technologists.