History of St. Xavier’s College
Xavier was founded in 1963 soon after the end ofPortuguese rule in Goa, when the new administration undertook an expansion of higher education in the region. The idea of a Catholic college was 'conceived by the veteran educationalist Msgr. Filip Mendonsa the then principal of St. Joseph High School Arpora.' It was favourably received by Archbishop D. Jose Viera Alvernaz.
The college started in a vacated high school building in Bastora, a village a few kilometers from Mapusa town. Fr. Antonio Ataide Lobo, secretary of the diocesan secretariat for schools, is credited with having 'played a very vital role and was instrumental in giving a facelift to the old premises.' In those days no diocesan priest satisfied the requirements of theUniversity of Bombay to act as principal, so Bishop Rebello approached theprovincial superior of theJesuits who placed Fr. Edward D'Cruz and Fr Fonseca at the disposal of the Archdiocese of Goa, as principal and vice-principal of the fledgling college.
- Xavier began with 140 students in 1963 with a first year class in Arts and Sciences. It was affiliated with theUniversity of Bombay. After two years Frs. D'Cruz and Fonseca departed and Fr. Nicolau Pereira took over as principal.
- More classes were added which by 1969 included M.Sc. degrees inphysics,chemistry, andbotanyand M.A. degrees inEnglish,philosophy, andPortuguese along with a doctorate inPortuguese.
- In 1986 the college's affiliation was switched toGoa University. Later programs include: acommercefaculty in 1993,computer science bachelor's in 1995, andelectronicsbachelor's in 1996. Later, computer applications (vocational) at the B.Com. level and industrial chemistry (vocational) at the B.Sc. level were introduced.
- Xavier's offers Goa's only mass communication degree, for students who wish to pursue a career in film production, media, or journalism. By special arrangement they may continue their study of film production at Cavendish College London after completion of their degree at Xavier.
- The Standing Committee of National Assessment and Accreditation Council, (NAAC), Bangalore, has declared the results of the Institutions accredited by NAAC.
- The college has been awarded Grade “A” with CGPA 3.36 on a scale ranging from 0-4.
- Among the 20 institutions all over the country which had applied for accreditation, 3rd Cycle, St. Xavier’s College has secured 5th position.
- The NAAC Peer Team visited St. Xavier’s College on 6th - 8thMarch,2014, to validate its Self-Study Report. The team comprised of Dr. Hemixa Rao (Chairperson), Dr. S.V. Sudheer (Member Co-ordinator) and Dr. Tawnenga (Member).
- Physical Education
- Business Law
- Political Science
- Computer Science
- Mass Communication & Videography
Application Eligibility criteria
- Candidate must have passed/appeared for the Qualifying Degree Examination and secured the prescribed Minimum Marks in the Subject(s)/course(s)concerned as mentioned in the Brochure. and
- Candidate must have qualified at the common Entrance Test conducted by the University in the Academic year for which admission is sought. For administrative reasons, the University may conduct the entrance test before the publication of the results of the qualifying degree examination concerned. But qualifying at the Entrance Test alone does not confer a right of admission into a course. In addition to being qualified at the common Entrance Test, a candidate will be eligible for admission only if he/she passes the qualifying degree examination before the commencement of counseling for admission and secures the prescribed minimum marks in the subject(s)/course(s) concerned. He/She must submit the necessary documents at the time of counseling.
How to apply
The applicants seekingadmmissioncan follow these simplesteps :
- The applicants seeking admission can apply by filling the online application form available on thewebsite .
- The applicants seeking admission can register themselves to the Under Graduation courses by submitting the registration
- The applicants seeking admission can pay the registration fees through Credit Card or Debit Card or NetBanking..
- The applicants seeking admission are advised to take the printout of filled-in online application form.
- The applicants seeking admission must upload the following documents along with the filled in application form
Address:Duler-Marna-Siolim Rd, Mapusa, Goa, 403507
Phone:0832 226 2356