Sivanath Sastri College owes its origin to the City College, Calcutta, which is one of the oldest first- grade colleges in Bengal. The City College was founded in the year 1879 by a band of patriotic and dedicated workers headed by Late Ananda Mohan Bose, It has a long record of brilliant results and this claim is evident from its alumni crowded by many great and noble daughters of Bengal.
The Commerce Dept. of the College was inaugurated in 1939 and South Calcutta Branch of the Commerce Dept. started in 1946 as an emergency measure to provide facilities to South Calcutta students. The morning classes for women were started in South Calcutta Branch in 1955. This unit named after the hallowed memory of Late Pandit Sivanath Sastri, an illustrious son of Bengal, was separately affiliated in 1961 to the Calcutta University. Since then the College has had no occasion to look back. Expansion in all branches of its activities took place steadily and regularly. New subjects were introduced and many of them with Honours teaching affiliations. Soon the reputation of the institution spread far and wide with long and sustained record.
During the brief period of 50 years, this Women’s Branch has been catering immensely to the growing needs of the women students, many of whom might otherwise have been deprived of higher education.
Besides imparting instruction in the humanities and a few science subjects it has arrangements for full-fledge commerce education up to the Degree standard. The success of all the arrangements has been amply borne out by the long and sustained record to brilliant achievements of the students if the College in all University Examinations. Though the College Governed by a separate Governing body, it is under control of the Central Council of the Brahmo Samaj Education Society in the matter of policy, operation and co-ordination.
Why to Join Sivanath Sastri College?
- Prestigious Institution with Special Facilities - It is one of the top 50 commerce colleges in India providing Students’ Day Home programme for students in affiliated colleges.
- Assistance to the needy and deserving- There are provisions for Free – studentship and Student Aid Fund which helps poor and deserving students to arrange for books, University dues and payment of college.
- Excellent Guiding and Counseling Cell- The College has a center to guide and counsel the students. It has Campus awareness programme responsible for discipline and safety in the college along with Career Counseling and Personality Development to bring out inner potentialities of the student which helps them to adjust with novel situations of life and to participate in different career avenues.
- Effective Regulation and Monitoring Scheme for College- Feedback system is implemented and also the college Union (Chhatri Samsad) organizes study –circle, debates , social gathering , recreation tours and other co-curricular activities and to assist the college authority in making all college functions successful.
Admission Procedure (Please read carefully)
1. HELPLINE NO. : 9830811739 (From 7-00 A.M. to 6-00 P.M.)
2. Application are to be made ONLINE at www.sivanathsastricollege.org .
3. Candidates applying for one Subject may also apply separately for other Subjects with separate Bank Challan of Rs. 200/- .
4. FIRST MERIT LISTS shall be published by June 26th ,2015 by 9-00 am. Merit Lists shall be displayed on line as well as the hard copy on the College Notice Board.Actual Admission will start on and from 30th June 2015
5. As per the stipulation of the University of Calcutta, candidates from States other than West Bengal must authenticate their Mark-Sheet before Admission.
6. At the time of publishing first merit lists, date of publication of Second merit lists, if required, shall be announced. At the time of Publication of Second merit lists, date of publication of Third merit lists, if required, shall be announced, and so on.
7. While publishing the successive Merit Lists, dates of admission and dates of deposition of fees at GOLPARK Branch ofCANARA BANK shall be announced. Listed and interested candidates have to take out a print out of enrolment form, onBOND PAPER, which they have to bring to the College on the dates (s) of Admission.
8. No student shall be considered for admission if she fails to take admission or to deposit fees with the date (s) mentioned in the merit lists (s) on which her name has appeared. All applicants are advised to follow admission schedule strictly.
9. A Student admitted to a Course/Subject may convert to another Course/Subject when her name turns up on the list for the latter Course/Subject, by paying the difference fees, if any. But she has to take admission on the dates mentioned on the list (s).
10. All admission are PROVISIONAL and shall be finalized only after proper verification of documents and fulfilment of the norms of University of Calcutta.
11. If there remain vacant seats after admitting all applications in any Honours Subject (s), fresh application will be invited online, and same procedure as mentioned above shall be followed.
12. Any wrong statement will cause forfeiture of right of getting admission.
13. In all matters the decision of the Admission Committee of the College will be binding and final.
14. The applicants whose name will be published in the Merit Lists must take a printout of College ID-Card forms.
15. ADMISSION SHALL BE MADE STRICTLY ON BASIS OF MERIT AND FROM AMONG THE PUBLISHED LISTS. ANY SOLICITATION IN ANY FORM IS TOTALLY UNNECESSARY AND DETRIMENTAL TO THE INTEREST OF THE STUDENT (S).IF THE APPLICANTS COME IN TO CONTACT WITH ANY TOUT THEY MUST REPORT THE MATTER TO COLLEGE AUTHORITY.
16. Applicant submitting online form will have to pay Rs. 200/- along with the downloaded challan as the cost of forms during the submission of the same on dates specified above at the submission desk – CANARA BANK in the A/c No. 0150201001798.
Application Fee must be submitted in the following branches of Canara Bank during Banking Hours.
|1. Gariahat Branch(Main Branch) |
( Opposite to Ramkrishna Mission Golpark)
|2.Garia Branch |
167,Garia Main Road,Garia
( Near Mahamayatala)
|3.Kasba Branch, |
221,B.B Chatterjee Road,
(Near Kasba Rathtala Minibus Stand)
|4.Sealdah Branch |
Sealdah(Under Sealdah Flyover)
|5.Chowringhee Branch. |
Kolkata,( Near MLA Hostel)
|6.Jadavpur Branch. |
Jadavpur, Near 8B Bus Stand
|7.Sarat Bose Road Branch. |
Near Rabindra Sarobar Stadium
|Applicant may submit the Fees in both Online and Offline mode at the Branches of concerned Bank.|
For more details about admission please contact :-
Phone : 033-2461 2689 / 2461 1236