RMAT (Rajasthan Management Aptitude test)
Rajasthan Management Aptitude test is an entrance examination for admission into the 2 year MBA program at around 142 affiliated colleges of Rajasthan Technical University, which was set up in 2005, by the government of Rajasthan to uplift the technical education scenario in the state. The University is located on Kota, Rawatbhada Road Rajasthan.
Structure of the Test
The test primarily consists of 200 multiple-choice questions, and provides a student 150 minutes to answer them. The test is paper based, and objectively tests the students reasoning aptitude and general skills. The test has the following sections:
- Reasoning and Aptitude: 40 questions
- Data Analysis and Interpretation: 40 Questions
- Mathematical Ability: 40 Questions
- English Language Proficiency: 40 Questions
- General Awareness: 40 Questions
It must be noted that the exam has no provision for negative marking.
The eligibility criteria for the students to apply for the RMAT and seek admission for the colleges under the university are as follows:
- The candidate must be a graduate from any of the recognized universities, and a have a minimum aggregate of 50% (45% for SC/ST and OBC categories)
- The candidate may also apply, if he is attempting his final year examination, in the corresponding year but admission will be offered subject to fulfilling the course requirements, and the required mark aggregate.
- Only Rajasthan Domicile students are eligible, but others may be allowed if:
- Any of the parents is a bonafide resident of Rajasthan.
- The candidate has studied continuously for a period of five years in the state, including the final year of the graduation from any of the recognized universities.
How to Apply?
RMAT application forms will be available to the candidates at designated branches of Punjab National Banks. Furnishing an amount of Rs 1000, at the bank, the student may collect the forms, which contain an application form, an OMR sheet, Information Brochure, and an envelope. The student is required to fill the application form, carefully, and send it in the envelope, along with the required documents, as specified below:
- Domicile Proof
- Attested Copy of High School Mark Sheet/Certificate
- Attested Copy of Senior Secondary Mark Sheet/Certificate
- Attested Copy of Graduation Mark Sheet/Certificate
- Appropriate Certificate for Final Year students (The relevant certificate shall be used by tearing off from the brochure).
- Relevant Certificate For Reserved Seat Applicants
- Two Self-addressed Post Cards.
- Two Self-addressed Envelopes (4” X 9”) (unstamped)
The documents and the Application form, must be received at the RMAT office before or on the last date for submission of forms. The application must be sent by speed post, or registered post.
Admission of the candidates to the respective affiliated colleges is completely based on his/her performance in the exam. A merit list is created based on the student’s marks, which will be available on the official website, when the results will be released. Admission will be granted for MBA at the college under Rajasthan Technical University, after an online counseling procedure. Furthermore, the RMAT admission will be provisional until the participating college provides an issue enrollment number, and enroll him on the college admission roster.
Syllabus for the Exam
The RMAT is an objective type exam, and tests the student’s ability in English proficiency, and reasoning ability. The exam has four sections with a total of 50 questions each, and the test requires the student to be well versed with the following topics:
- Quantitative Section: The test requires the student to master, Geometry, Ratio and Proportion, Percentages, Quadratic and Linear Equations, Linear In-equations, Profit and loss, Averages, Arithmetic progression, BODMAS, Mensuration, Compound Interest, Set theory, Venn Diagrams, Partnerships, Permutation and Combinations, Trigonometry, Surds, Vectors, Indices, etc.
- Data Interpretation and Reasoning: This section requires the student, to understand and answer questions on the following topics: Data Interpretation on Graphs and Tables and the graphs may be column graphs, Pie charts, etc. This section also requires the student to understand Critical reasoning, Visual Reasoning, Assertions and reasons, Statements and Conclusions, Identifying Strong and Weak arguments, Syllogisms, Functions, Family tree, Symbol based problems, Coding and decoding, Sequencing etc.
- English Language: This section requires the student to master comprehension of passage, Verbal Reasoning, Syllogisms, Analogies, antonyms, fill in the blanks, Jumbled Paragraphs, Sentence correction, Sentence correction, idioms, odd man out, one word substitution, etc.
- General Knowledge: This section needs the student to be proficient in Business affairs, current affairs, punch line of companies, Major corporate events, Famous awards and prizes, World records, books and authors, Science, History, Geography, Important quotations, Social issues, Sports, Finance, entertainment, politics, etc.
These are only a general list of topics, and do not form an exhaustive list of topics for the exam. It should also be noted that the examination has no negative marks for any of the sections.
Important Dates for the Exam
The exam is held once a year, and allows the student a platform to get admitted in any of the 142 colleges in Rajasthan. The important dates (the precise dates are not available yet, and will be updated on the RMAT website soon: http://www.rtu.ac.in/rtu/) for the exam are as follows:
- Availability of application form: March 2015
- Last Date to submit application form: April 2015
- Date of Exam: May 2015
- Exam result: June end of First week of July
- Counseling and Admission: July
- Session begins: August
List of Exam Centers
This exam albeit being a statewide exam, has centers all over India. The test centers are however primarily centralized in Rajasthan. The test centers are as follows: Ahmedabad, Ajmer, Bangalore, Bikaner, Calcutta, Chandigarh, Hyderabad, Indore, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Kota, Lucknow, New Delhi, Udaipur, Varanasi. Updated list, and further centers in Rajasthan are delineated in the information brochure.
The student may contact the university directly for any enquiries about the RMAT and other details. He may contact the university by
Address: Rajasthan Technical University,
Rawathbhata Road Kota-324010
The results are usually made available online on their official website within 3-4 weeks of the exam.
The RMAT exam score is valid for only one year, and the student will have to reattempt the exam to take part in the admission process in the consequent year.
Seat Distribution and Reservation
The university offers admission to around 142 affiliated colleges, and follows the reservation criteria as specified by the government of India. Furthermore, the university provides separate cut offs for colleges during the counseling procedure for the reserved quota students. The seat distribution also conforms to the rules specified by the Government of India.
Like mentioned earlier, the exam provides the Rajasthan Domicile student eligibility for admission in any of the 142 colleges affiliated to it. The participating institutions are given at the following website: http://www.rtu.ac.in/rtu/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/List-of-Affiliated-Colleges-academic-session-2013-14.pdf
Counseling and Admission procedure
The examination primarily filters out the students and shortlists the students for the second round. The students are then invited for the Group discussion and the Personal Interviews, where they are tested for their presence of mind, reasoning ability, etc. Finally the admission offer is made to them at the college, after the elaborate admission process, provided that they conform to all the eligibility criteria and submit all the required documents.