India has lately seen a proliferation in the number of students looking for an MBA, and owing to the hefty competition this stream has transformed to be overly enviable. However, it is certainly not feasible for working professionals to aspire for full-time MBA courses, competing with students taking a sabbatical from their job or disregarding it completely. For these working class professionals, and everyone else the Part time MBA course is perhaps the best step forward in their career.
Why Part Time MBA?
There may be a couple of reasons for a person to choose a Part time MBA. It is often not viable for a candidate to pay (or he may be unwilling to pay) the fee for a full time MBA course up front, and for those working through the MBA course is the only option. Furthermore, Part time MBA courses are most certainly cheaper to enroll for and pursue when compared to Full time courses. These Part time courses are flexible and even allow students to set their own date for examinations. Also, the student’s ability to take workload is increased and he is perceived as a hard working student – in class and in workplace. However, networking in a Part-time course is trickier. The applicant must be prudent enough to make contacts, chat and discuss business in the limited time available. The onus finally is upon the candidate. It is advised that the candidate consults as many alumni as possible and make an informed decision. Nevertheless, the positives of taking up a Part-time course far outweigh the negatives.
How to select Part Time MBA
The candidate must be wise to choose an institute that will best suit him, for an institute may make or decimate his experience of a part time course. The student must look out for certain factors before choosing his school:
- Reputation: More often than not, the more famous reputed schools have structured and apt syllabus that is recognized as the standard.
- Credibility of the course: The student must choose a course where admission is fairly competitive, and gives the student certain credibility for having taken the course. The course will certainly not add to his skills, if almost everyone who applies gets admissions into the particular college.
- Expenses: The candidate must evaluate every fee of the institution diligently and look for nooks and crevices in course fees, fee per semester, etc.
- Admission Procedure: Most institutions do not have very rigorous admission procedures. However, a certain few elite institutions do require the student to attend personal interviews, group discussions, and entrance examinations similar to the admission procedure of Full Time courses. The student must be prepared for the procedure, before choosing the institution.
- Timings: Many Part time MBA courses, offer classroom sessions in the evenings, while a certain number of institutions offer classes in the weekends. The student must choose the institution as suitable
- Location: The student will need to commute for classroom sessions, and it is feasible if the duration for commute does not hurt the students’ work life. The candidate must consider this aspect before choosing the institution.
Now, the Part time MBA courses are advised for working professionals, who have certain years of work experience (4+ years) and cannot sacrifice their work. Interested candidates however, must know the requirements to enroll into a Part time MBA course:
- The candidate must be a graduate in any discipline and must have an aggregate of 55% marks (usually).
- The admission procedure to a few elite institutions does include weightage of competitive exam score results, personal interviews, group discussions, etc.
- Also, for the Executive MBA courses it is often necessary that the student have a work experience of about 3 years (Generally).
The student must contact the particular institutions before enrolling for a course, and note that the information provided is generalized.
Just like the Full time MBA, the Part time courses also have similar specializations in the longer 2-year courses. Usually, the shorter 1-year MBA courses only look to augment a certain skill set and awards a General MBA degree.
Top Part Time MBA programs
The institutions offering these Part time courses have recently grown tremendously and some of these top institutions offering Part time courses are as follows:
Part time MBA programs by city-
Life after Part Time MBA
The part time MBA does offer and augment skills for students who do not wish to sacrifice their work. A part time MBA will often help you get that promotion that you were looking for. Also, sometimes for the employer sponsors the course it is easier for the student to complete the course. Also, the student will be able to utilize the theory concepts in work simultaneously. The students looking for Part time MBA courses, may also consider Distance education, and online MBA courses although they are vastly different. The part time MBA opens up a plethora of opportunities with minimal disruption in career of a working professional, and is therefore a good choice, if thinking about!