Mithila University was established on August 5, 1972, by an ordinance of the Government of Bihar subsequently enacted through legislatures. The University is governed by the Bihar State Universities Act, 1976. The University was renamed as Lalit Narayan Mithila University on 28 April 1980. It is the result of the desire of students in the region. University imparts higher education in fields like Humanities, Social Science, Life Science, and Medicines. At present university has 400 faculty members.Currently, a university has 25 Affiliated Colleges. The Directorate of Distance Education in Lalit Narayan Mithila University was created in the year 1998. Since inception, it has been taking various initiatives to the spread of distance education. At present nearly 30% students of higher education in LNMU are enrolled in the ODL system in DDE.
The objectives of LNMU are
- Achieving excellence in post-graduate and undergraduate teaching and learning
- Offering innovative programmes and in diverse disciplines addressing the emerging needs of the society.
- Providing high quality research leading to creation and dissemination of knowledge.
- Promotional of international understanding through global initiatives.
- Engaging with the local community and industry for sustainable and inclusive development.
- Maintaining high quality of education as prescribed by the UGC Act.
- Expansion of current academic and research areas into diversified focus and implementation in phases.
- Encouraging creativity and innovation in every discipline.
- Providing value based holistic education leading to the growth and development of the community better equipped to serve the mankind.
- Linkage with the industries for the promotion of science and technology.
- Designing and launching academic programmes which may transform the social, economic condition of the people leading to their intellectual, academic and cultural development.