The Prime Minister, in his address to the nation on August 15, 2007, announced the establishment of a Central University in each of the states that did not have a central university so far. Subsequently, 11th Plan provided for the establishment of 16 new Central Universities. Accordingly, the Central Universities Act 2009 (No. 25 of 2009) which received Presidential assent on 20th March 2009 provided for the establishment of the Central University of Himachal Pradesh amongst others.
- To disseminate and advance knowledge by providing instructional and research facilities in such branches of learning as it may deem fit;
- To make special provisions for integrated courses in humanities, social sciences, sciences and technology in its educational programmes;
- To take appropriate measures for promoting innovations in teaching-learning process and inter-disciplinary studies and research;
- To educate and train manpower for the development of the country;
- To establish linkages with industries for the promotion of science and technology;
- To pay special attention to the improvement of social and economic conditions and welfare of the people, their intellectual, academic and cultural development