NEHU is a public Central University which has two campuses located in Shillong and Tura in the state of Meghalaya. The University was established on 19 July, 1973 by an act of the India Parliament. Enshrined with the motto “Rise Up and Build”, the university is affiliated to UGC, NAAC, AIU and AICTE. The University is headquartered at Mawkynroh-Umshing, Shillong. The main campus is spread in an extremely vast area of 1225 acres.
The campus houses National Council of Science Museums (NCSM), IGNOU, Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR), Sports Authority of India (SAI) and The English and Foreign Languages University (EFLU).
The University affiliates 53 undergraduate colleges including eight professional colleges.
The Central Library founded in 1973 had 600 books then. It now has over 2.3 lakh books, 38000 periodicals and hundreds of journals.
NEHU has as many as 23 hostels separately for boys and girls. The hostels are allotted according to the courses and availability. The hostels are equipped with all modern facilities.
The Department of Sports in Shillong campus facilitates Sports activities to the colleges affiliated to NEHU. The popular sports are Cricket, Football, Hockey, boxing, Judo, Best Physique, Weight lifting, Athletics, Table Tennis, Badminton, Chess, basketball and Volleyball etc.
Application and Admission Procedure
HOW TO APPLY
- The application forms are available at the University campus and it can also be downloaded from the official website.
- The candidate needs to fill in the personal information, educational information, and declaration.
- The candidate needs to attach 2 recent coloured passport size photographs, domicile/SC/ST Certificate, migration certificate and medical fitness report.
- The applicant needs to submit the application fee.
- The candidate first needs to complete the application process by following the above mentioned steps.
- The candidate should also submit the Challan for making the payment for the application. The application fee is non-refundable.
- A merit list is prepared by the University.
- The students are selected on the merit basis.
- The selected students are then called to the University for the Verification of documents and fee payment.
Hostel and Facilities
There are total 23 (twenty three) hostels of the North Eastern Hill University. There are 12 (twelve) hostels allotted for the male students of the university and 11(eleven) hostels for the female students.
There are separate hostels for the undergraduate and postgraduate students too.
- Two hundred (200) female undergraduate students can be accommodated in the hostel.
- Two hundred ninety nine (299) hundred seats are for Post graduate female students.
- One hundred nineteen (119) for RS female students
- Five hundred and three (503) seats are for Undergraduate male students
- Three hundred six seats (300) are for Post graduate students
- Two hundred forty four (204) are for RS male.
There are different wardens for each hostel and for more detailed information.
The room of each hostel is well maintained by the university, though the bed capacity in each rooms varies in different hostels.
|Maximum salary offered|
|Minimum salary offered|
|Average salary offered|
1) 3 year Law Degree Course - A candidate who has graduated in any discipline from a recognized University can appear for L.L.B. course
2) Integrated Degree Program - Candidate must have passed 10+2 Higher Secondary Exam or an exam cosidered to be equivalnt to 10+2 Higher Secondary Exam can enrol for integrated degree program (LLB and a first degree in any other subject).
Candidates who have obtained 10+2 Higher secondary exam certificate or a graduate degree after taking up other courses through distance mode are also considered eligible for integrated degree course. But those candidates who have obtained 10+2 Higher secondary exam certificate or a graduate degree through distance mode or from open universities without any basic qualification are not eligible for admission into law courses.
Minimum marks for admission into law courses -
1) 40% for SC/ST candidates
2) 45% for other candidates