Utkal University was established in the year 1943. It is a public university, situated in Bhubaneswar in the state Odisha.
Utkal University was formally known as Vani Vihar. It is the oldest university in Odisha and the 17th-oldest university in India located.
The campus at Vani Vihar consists of about 399.9 acre area in the heart of the capital city of Odisha, Bhubaneswar. The University is situated near the National Highway 5. It is about 5 kilometres away from Bhubaneswar railway station and bus stand located at Baramunda.
The university only postgraduate courses through the below-mentioned departments-
- Business Studies and Management
This is the largest affiliating university in the country with 267 affiliated general colleges, 15 law colleges, 6 medical and pharmacy colleges.
At present, the Utkal University runs 27 Post-Graduate teaching and research departments located within the campus. The students are also encouraged to do their Doctorate degree from the university.
Application and Admission Procedure
How to Apply
The application process to UTKAL University is offline and online.
Candidates can acquire the form from the Office the Chairman, PG Council or from the Office of the Heads of the Department by payment of INR 600.
They can also download the form from the official website of the University. Candidates need to fill in the application form correctly providing their appropriate personal and educational details.
Candidates need to enclose the application form with the important documents as required. They also need to include the e-reciept/DD / BC of Rs. 600 in favour of Administrative Office, P. G. Teaching Departments, Utkal University payable at any nationalized bank of Bhubaneswar(in case of downloaded application).
The entire set has to be sent to the following address:
Heads of the Department,
Utkal University, Vani Vihar,
The admission procedure varies across courses. It can be on the basis of the entrance examination/qualifying degree/or both. Selected candidates will have to attend the counselling process after which their admission will be guaranteed.
Hostel and Facilities
- The University has separate hostels for boys and girls
- There are 13 hostels, 6 for male students and 7 for female students
- The combined capacity of all the hostels is above 2000
- All the hostels are supervised by the Superintendent and Assistant Superintendent and coordinated by a Warden
- There’s a mess facility in all hostels
- Internet Connectivity is also provided
- Every hostel also has a common room where boarders are provided with computer, WiFi, Library, news papers, periodicals and television
- Clean and Safe drinking water and Electronic Water purifiers facilities are also provided.
- An opportunity to study in the oldest university of Odisha and the 17th Oldest in India
- Parija Library – A massive central library with 8 different sections, 28000 square feet area, and consists of more than two hundred thousand books and 5800 rare manuscripts
- University Health Center – where services primarily to students, faculty, staffs and their family members and residents of the university quarters. Medicines are provide free of cost and minor surgeries are also done here.
- DDCE UTKAL UNIVERSITY for distance education courses is also very popular in the state.
|Maximum salary offered|
|Minimum salary offered|
|Average salary offered|
1) 3 year Law Degree Course - A candidate who has graduated in any discipline from a recognized University can appear for L.L.B. course
2) Integrated Degree Program - Candidate must have passed 10+2 Higher Secondary Exam or an exam cosidered to be equivalnt to 10+2 Higher Secondary Exam can enrol for integrated degree program (LLB and a first degree in any other subject).
Candidates who have obtained 10+2 Higher secondary exam certificate or a graduate degree after taking up other courses through distance mode are also considered eligible for integrated degree course. But those candidates who have obtained 10+2 Higher secondary exam certificate or a graduate degree through distance mode or from open universities without any basic qualification are not eligible for admission into law courses.
Minimum marks for admission into law courses -
1) 40% for SC/ST candidates
2) 45% for other candidates