The urgent need to initiate advanced studies in the areas of History of Art, Conservation, and Museology has been discussed for years and the first step was taken in 1983, when diploma and post graduate diploma courses in History of International and Modern Art and their Sources and Restoration of Oil paintings were initiated in National Gallery of Modern Art, New Delhi. In the year 1985, the programme was shifted to National Museum and its scope was expanded to include teaching of History of Art, covering both Ancient and Modern, Eastern and Western. The programme of Restoration of Oil paintings was also widened to include the restoration of other works of art of organic and inorganic material.
With a view that the students can benefit and make a career out of these advanced studies, and because of the fact that mere diplomas may not make them eligible to apply and compete for various posts in the museums, galleries and universities, it was considered appropriate to set up an Institute that could award its own M.A. and Ph.D. degrees. Thus the Society of the National Museum Institute of the History of Art, Conservation and Museology, Delhi was formed and registered on January 27, 1989 under the Societies Registration Act, 1860. Based on the recommendation of the University Grants Commission, the Ministry of Human Resources Development, Government of India accorded the status of 'Deemed to be University' on April 28, 1989 to the National Museum Institute of History of Art, Conservation and Museology, to be administered by the above Society.
Why To Join National Museum Institute of History of Art Conservation and Museology, New Delhi ?
- The university provides excellent education in the field of Arts.
- It provides for various courses of study, training and research in different branches of History of Art, Museology, Conservation, etc.
- It has Collaboration with other national institutions dealing with cultural property like-the National Museum,
- Archaeological Survey of India,
- Anthropological Survey of India,
- National Gallery of Modern Art,
- National Archives of India in order to share the material, curatorial / technical expertise and facilities.
- It regularly engages in Interaction at the national level to improve standards of teaching in the relevant fields
- Department of History of Art
- Department of Conservation
- Department of Museology
For more details about admission please contact :-
Phone No. : +91 (0) 11 2301 2106
Fax No. : +91 (0) 11 2301 2988