Dravidian University was established in 1997 at the tri- lingual junction, Kuppamin Chittoor District, A. P., 8 k.m away from TamilNadu, 4 km, away from Karnataka and hardly about four hours drive to Kerala, basically to promote a spirit of integration and strong bonds of fraternity among the ma jor Dravidian language speakers of the Southern states and to advance studies and research inthe integrated body of Dravidian lmguico - cultural heritage.
The Dravidian University was established through a Legislature Act of Andhra Pradesh and conceived as an Inter - State Institution. The neighboring Governments of Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Kerala have extended initial support which enabled the University to take up constructions of Vemana Bhavan, Thiruvalluvar Bhavan, Narayanaguru Bhavan and Basava Bhavan remembering the great Social Saints of the South who enshrined the language cultures with their immortal thoughts.
The University located in a serene rural setting with pleasant greenery spread over the spacious campus of about 1000 acres endowed with huge deposits of granite, giving a picture of rock garden, is one of the most ideally suited institution for quite and dedicated studies and research harmonizing the individual, both internally and externally. The campus absolutely pollution free.
Every growing institution should be potential enough to dream, and Dravidian University also continues to dream to achieve higher goals and to attain a gratifying place of distinction in the galaxy of Indian Universities enjoying international repute.
The global perspectives and research in Dravidian Studies, the contemporary perceptions of higher education and the regional demand of a backward rural area have fused into one mission that led to the formation of Dravidian University, which is different from or Universities in its priorities, obligations and responsibilities. The spirit of integration is the guiding force behind the establishment of the University. The linguistic and cultural integration at national and international levels is the cherished objective of the University
The ultimate goal of the Dravidian University is to foster and strengthen national integration through a wider knowledge and understanding of Dravidian Languages, Literature, Culture, Sciences and Technology. Dravidian University sees the linguistic more as an opportunity for self-discovery and mother-tongue as the Archimedean point to bring about paradigm shift in education. The University promotes a broad-based and extensive project of translation of texts and narratives, in addition to a comparative study of cultures and languages, including visual and performing arts. It endeavors to play a crucial role in affirming the Dravidian cultural heritage and to reinstate the native idioms and in refiguring the local histories. The multicultural focus of the University is meant to respect differences and resist all attempts at homogenization while indigenizing the mind-sets of academics.
- To promote national integration and the integrated development of the human personalities through its policies and programmes.
- To work for an integrated development of Dravidian languages, both written and spoken, including the Tribal languages of the Dravidian family.
- To impart instruction and training at very high levels in Dravidian languages, literature and culture related art and crafts and allied subjects with an indigenous thrust.
- To advance and disseminate learning and knowledge by diverse of means, including the use of new and advanced communication technologies.
- To cooperate with, and seek the cooperation of other Universities and institutions of higher learning, professional bodies and organizations for such purposes as the university considers necessary.
- To take up extension activities with special emphasis on rural development so as to make the benefits of the work done by the University reach educational institutions throughout the country.
- To impart training to those residing within and beyond India who desire to study Dravidian languages, literature, culture and modern sciences, medicine, engineering, technology and allied subjects.
- To translate books of other languages into Dravidian languages according to the needs in consonance with the objectives of the University and also to translate books from the Dravidian languages into other languages.
- To develop Dravidian languages as vehicles of modern knowledge and media of instruction.