GMAT or Graduate Management Admission Test, which is conducted for admission to various management colleges in India, as well as the entire world. This is a computer-based evaluation test of 3.5 hours duration. It is also one of the oldest examination introduced back in 1953. More than 2,50,000 students undertake the test in a single year, and the score of this examination is accepted in 112 countries worldwide.
The Exam that lasts for 3.5 hours consists of 90 objective type questions plus one writing question. Total the exam consists of 4 sections that are divided as under:
- Writing Assesment - 1 Topic
- Integrated Reasoning - 12 Questions
- Verbal Section - 41 Questions
- Quantitative Section 37 Question
The test takers are given 30 minutes to answer the question based on written ability. Another 30 minutes are provided to answer the questions based on the integrated reasoning. After this 75 minutes are provided to answer the questions on quantitative section followed by another 75 minutes to answer the verbal section.
Candidate sitting for the GMAT exam should possess a graduate degree in any discipline of minimum three-year duration. Final year students can also apply for this examination. Other than this the candidate should secure more than 50% in their final year examination.
How To Apply
The candidates who wish to appear for the GMAT 2015 need to make sure that they have a computer and good internet connection at home. To start your application process, you need to visit https://accounts.gmac.com/Account/LogIn?ReturnUrl=%2fOpenId%2fAskUser. On this link provided you need to create your account and log in successfully.
Once you log in you will be required to select the test date of the examination and then would be required to choose the centre for the same. As soon as you have completed this process of then the last step is to pay the registration fee.
GMAC allows the user to pay fees only through credit card or net banking facility. You cannot make the payment through debit card on GMAC. The registration fee for the examination is $250. In case you want to change the schedule of the examination then an extra fee of $50 would be charged.
One can also schedule the GMAT examination through phone by calling VUE Customer care 3 days before they wish to take the exam. The payment in this case will be done on the link provided by the executive through credit or debit card.
Once the registration for this program is complete, the student will be required to send his scores the universities in which he seeks admission. The candidate is allowed to send his/her score to any five universities without any cost.
Once the score is sent the candidate is then called in for the interview process. This process consists of tasks, group discussion and personal interview.
These process of admission is decided by the university that you have applied for.
Syllabus For Examination
The GMAT examination is held multiple times a year at regular intervals. The candidates are allowed to attempt this examination five times during a year. The syllabus for GMAT is mentioned as under:
- Writing Assesment: In this section that lasts for 30 minutes a single question related to argument analysis is asked.
- Integrated Reasoning: This section primarily focuses on topics such as data interpretation etc. Consisting of 12 questions and duration of 30 minutes this section contains multisource reasoning, table analysis, graphics interpretation, two-part analysis.
- Quantitative Aptitude: This section like all other examination is designed to test how well can a candidate reason quantitatively and interpret graphical data. The section contains objective questions which have to be answered in 75 minutes. Some of the prime topics covered in this section include arithmetic operations,elementary algebra, geometrical concepts.
- Verbal Section: As the name suggests this section is used to test the verbal skills of a candidate. This section is also alloted a time of 75 minutes and questions are based on reading comprehensions, critical reasoning and sentence correction.
There are no fixed or pre mentioned dates of GMAT examination. A candidate can appear for the examination throughout the year, but a maximum 5 attempts are allowed in a single year. The candidate is required to register himself three days before he wished to take the exam and can then arrive at the test centre for the same.
The results of this examination are usually delivered within 20 days after appearing for examination.
Students can get their queries and doubts resolved by calling on the Toll-Free Number +91 120-439-7830. You can also contact the authorities via e-mail from Monday to Friday on [email protected].
The results of your GMAT examination is provided three weeks after you have appeared for the test. Four separate score cards are provided to the students for four different sections. Also, a single score card for entire exam is provided which helps decide the overall rank of the student.
GMAT has a score validity of 5 years. But it is always prescribed not to have a score more than 2 years old.
Reservation and Seat Distribution
GMAT does not provide any sort of reservations. The ranks and admission are solely based on the performance of the candidate in the examination.
GMAT score is accepted in over 1200 B-Schools worldwide for admission to more than 5500 courses. But some of the prominent institutes that take score of this examination are:
- University of Hyderabad
- IIM, Ahmedabad
- IIM, Calcutta
- Universal School of Business
- Bangalore Institute of International Management
- GITAM School of International Business
- Insitute of Public Enterprise
- IMT Ghaziabad
- LPU, Jalandhar
- MIT, Pune
- IFIM, Bangalore
- Indian School of Business and Finance
Counselling and Admission Procedure
Once the score of the GMAT examination is released then automatically the scores are sent to the five institutes free of cost. These institutes are selected by the studetns. Once the score are sent if the institute accepts the score obtained then the students are called in for further screeening process.
Screening process includes Group Discussion followed by a Personal Interview. A candidate who succesfully clears all the rounds with good score is offered the admission letter to the university.