Dr.MGR-Janaki College was founded in the year 1996 under the aegis of Mrs. Janaki Ramachandran, who wished to start a college to pay a tribute to her husband Late Bharat Ratna Dr. M.G. Ramachandran, former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu.
Under the dedicated leadership of our Founder Correspondent Dr.Latha Rajendran and Founder Late Mr.M.Rajendran the college grew from its humble beginnings to become a premier institution producing rank holders in multidisciplines. Due to the able guidance of illustrious personalities like Late Mr.N.P.V.Ramasamy Udayar, Late Dr.N.C.Raghavachari, Dr.Jeppiaar and with the support of well wishers, the college has had a qualitative and quantitative progress
The college produces students who are achievers in diverse fields such as academics, sports and cultural activities. The students are well prepared to face life, to create opportunities rather than seeking it and succeed by the progressive realization of predetermined goals.
All the courses offered by the College are affiliated to the University of Madras. This college is approved vide G.O. MS 431 dated 12th June 1996, by the Education, Science and Technology Department of the Government of Tamil Nadu. The College has been accredited by NAAC with a CGPA of 2.86 out of 4 with the grade of GOOD (B)
'Excellence through Diligence' - The motto of the college reflects the principle that both Dr.MGR and Mrs.Janaki Ramachandran believed in. We create an atmosphere in which students can work diligently - in such an atmosphere 'Excellence' is not an effort - it just blossoms.
The Vision of this college is :
To fashion competent, cultured, confident young women endowed with noble values that make them a shining star in the family and society.
The Mission of this college is :
- To financially empower the women by freeing them from economic dependence. Towards achieving this end, the Institution has embarked on various job-oriented courses that are in demand in the employment market.
- To motivate the women to look beyond academic qualifications and develop core competencies and attain self-actualization. The knowledge components, the skill sets and attitudinal frameworks are so designed that help the women in achieving this.
- To achieve inclusive education. As part of this goal as well as reflecting Bharat Ratna Dr. M.G.R’s concern for the hearing impaired and physically challenged, the Institution integrates as many of such students as possible in the mainstream.
- To build a gender-neutral society by infusing in students a sense of equality, purpose, accountability, responsibility and the personal strength to meet the challenges with stoic courage.
- To help the students become leaders of tall standing, serving and building the society. By setting rigorous academic standards and giving students the support they need to meet those standards, the Institution enables them to unlock their potentials and discover their own capabilities which provide them with the required confidence to lead.
- To develop well-rounded personalities through innovative and robust curricula. Learning to learn is the focus of the Institution and not merely training for any specific vocation. Learning at the Institution is an experience in itself.