St. Xavier's College, Kolkata was established in 1860 by a Catholic Minority Religious body, the Society of Jesus and was affiliated to Calcutta University in 1862. With one hundred and fifty one years of service to the nation, St. Xavier's College has grown today into a leading educational institution in India. Both St. Xavier's School and College are proud of their contribution to the cause of education and culture in Bengal for 151 years.
These twin institutions have produced many great educationists and students who earned regard and respect for their Alma Mater. St. Xavier's College offers UG and PG courses under five faculties. It also offers various professional degree and diploma courses under career oriented programs, IGNOU convergence scheme.
Why Choose St. Xavier's College ?
- Fostering passionate pursuit for academic and intellectual excellence
- Promoting social concern leading to action
- Cultivating uncompromising commitment towards enhancing the quality of life both at the organizational and societal level
- Instilling in students integrity, perseverance and transparency
- Facilitating creativity and innovativeness in all endeavors
- Enabling leadership to become agents of social change and shape a better future
- Encouraging discipline, teamwork and collaboration
- Providing education with a human face
St. Xavier's Collegeis a graduate and undergraduate college located inKolkata, affiliated to University of Calcutta. It was founded in 1860 and named afterSt. Francis Xavier, a Jesuitsaint of the 16th century, who travelled to India. Itbecame the first autonomous college inWest Bengal and hence it is permitted to formulate its own syllabus, establish its own evaluation system, i.e. conduct exams and publish the results but the Degree Certificates will be issued by the University.
- SXC is a multi-faculty college offering UG and PG courses consisting of Science, Commerce, Arts, Education and Business Administration faculties
- The college made its first ever foreign collaboration in 2008 and entered into a tie-up with theUniversity of Manitoba, Canada
Shifts: The college functions in three shift timings:
- Morning Session from 6:00 am - 9:30 am in B.Com, only for Boys
- Day Session from 9 am - 4:30pm in B.Ed., B.Sc. and B.A, for girls and boys
- Evening Session from 3 pm-8 pm in B.Com and B.B.A for boys and girls
St. Xavier's College offers UG and PG courses under five faculties : Arts, Science, Commerce, Business Administration, and Education. It also offers various professional certificate and diploma courses under Career Oriented Programmes and Computer Centre.
- St. Xavier College was recognized as an “A” grade institute by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC)
- In May 2006 it was declared a Centre with Potential for Excellence by the UGC
- Obtained an International Serial Number (ISSN 2347 - 6222) for Youthink journal
- It is one of India's best Commerce and Science college. It has repeatedly featured on the list of Top Three undergraduate colleges in India, in surveys conducted by bothIndia TodayandNielsen