Tamil University, Thanjavur, was started in the year 1981 with a motto that translates to "Whatever you think, think it in a big way". The university is located in Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu and affiliated to UGC (University Grants Commission) under the UGC Act 1956.
The university was established with the aim of higher research in the language of Tamil and advanced studies in allied branches such as linguistics, translation, lexicography, music, drama, and manuscriptology.
The M.Phil and Ph.D programmes were introduced in 1992 for disciplines such as Language, Literature, Translation, and Sculpture. The university provides a variety of undergraduate and postgraduate courses that are governed by five faculties, mentioned as follows:
- Faculty of Arts.
- Faculty of Manuscriptology.
- Faculty of Developing Tamil.
- Faculty of Language.
- Faculty of Science.
The university is the largest by area with over 900 acres of land granted by the State Government of Tamil Nadu. The campus is equipped with academic buildings, a library that is reminiscent of the Indian Parliament of New Delhi, internet, sports, a guest house, an open-air theatre, and career guidance and counseling centers.
Application and Admission Procedure
How to Apply
In order to apply for various programs, students need to glance through the eligibility criteria prior to applying for a particular course. It is essential for the candidates to go through the official website in order to stay tuned to the admission process and to apply for the preferred course.
- The candidate can enroll online as well as offline for the chosen program. For online applications, candidates need to visit the official website and fill all the personal details along with educational qualifications.
- After entering all the fields, applicants then need to upload their scanned photograph and signature in accordance with the dimensions mentioned in the instructions.
- The necessary documents must be kept along while filling the online application form. The link for the online application form will be available on the official portal within the specified duration.
- The payment can be done online via net banking.
In case the students wish to apply offline, they will have to purchase and submit the form at the university office itself. The fee shall be paid there during submission of the necessary documents.
Hostel and Facilities
An open air theatre, career guidance and counseling cell, sports complex and more amenities are available within the campus of the Tamil University. The Sports club organizes and participates in several inter and intra collegiate competitions and have facilities for training and playing volleyball, cricket, basketball, kabbadi and many other games.
There is also an indoor stadium facilities for Badminton, Chess, Carrom and table tennis. The College runs a radio station – Valar Tamizh and a newsletter called as Sethi Malar. The University also has an Employment Linked Skilling Program to provide students an opportunity to do internships.
The Library has been made as a replica of the Indian Parliament and contains more than 1,70,000 books, journals and magazines. The Audio Visual centre, INFLIBNET and the Reprographic Service also forms an integral part of the services offered by the library.
|Maximum salary offered|
|Minimum salary offered|
|Average salary offered|