Annamalai University is a public university established in 1929 by entrepreneur AnnamalaiChettiyar. It is India’sfirst private university which was taken over by the Government of Tamil Nadu in 2010. The university offers higher education courses in fields of Science, Engineering, Management, Arts, Agriculture and Humanities.
The university is located in Annamalai Nagar, Tamil Nadu. It is spread across 950 acres of land with over 10 faculties and 49 departments making it one of the largest universities in India.
The university also offers distance education through its Directorate of Distance Education (DDE). At present it offers more than 500 courses including programs in Fashion Design, Textile Design, Interior Management, Interior Design, Retails Management, Yoga, Music etc. Additionally, it was the first institute to offer MBA through distance mode.
The university is UGC approved with accreditation from NAAC-A, MCI, AICTE and its distance programs are DIB (Distance Education Bureau) and NCTE approved.
Following is a list of top colleges under the flagship of the university-
- International Maritime Academy
- Annamalai College of Engineering
- I.F.E.T College of Engineering
- Cauvery College for Women
- Inter National institute of Fashion Design (INIFD)
Application and Admission Procedure
How to apply-
There are two modes of applying i.e online and offline.
1) For Online application
- Visit the official site.
- Click the tab- application online and choose the respective field/branch
- Apply as a new applicant and fill in the details
- Payment of fees via demand draft of Rs. 400 for Sc/St/Sa of Chennai and of Rs 800 for others can be done online or via demand draft drawn in favor of "The Registrar, Annamalai University" payable at Chennai
2) For Offline application
- Download the application from the official website.
- Fill in the necessary details
- Make a demand draft as mentioned above
- Send the registration form and demand draft to “The Registrar Annamalai University Annamalai Nagar Chidambaram Cuddalore District”.
Admission to all courses are purely merit-based, according to which the eligible students are called for counseling and allotted the seats on spot.
Hostel and Facilities
The University has a very large and resourceful library with around 4,63,000 books to its collection. The library has also been a full-pledged depository for the World Book bank, since the year 1986, which provides it the opportunity to get books from the bank free of cost throughout the year. The building also has photocopy services, internet access and conducts orientation programs.
The Sports Center of the College has built infrastructure for undertaking training and for playing Tennis, Basketball, and Volleyball. They also have an indoor stadium with table tennis and Badminton court, along with a fully functional Gym. There is also a large and spacious yoga hall that regularly conducts events and workshops.