Overview of VBU:
Visva-Bharati University isaCentral Govt. funded autonomous university located in Santiniketan, West Bengal.The first thoughts for establishing the Visva Bharati University came in the later part of the 19th century. Sri Debendranath Tagore, father of Rabindranath Tagore made a modest meditation centre built in the premises of Santiniketan. It was this endeavour that paved way for the establishment of the unorthodox university.
- The foundation for the university was laid in the year 1863, and in 1888, Sri Debendranath Tagore offered the buildings and the land for establishing the Brahmavidyalaya.
- Fulfilling his father’s dreams, Rabindranath established the Brahmacharyasrama on 22nd December1901 with a mere five students.However, the VBU was formally founded in the year 1921 by Rabindranath Tagore.
- It was given the status of a central university and also a national importance status by the 1951 Act of Parliament
- The university has under its administration 12 institutes, 5 schools, 15 different centres and a great many departments
- The infrastructure provided to the students is of the highest class having fully furnished hostels, computer centres and libraries etc.
- Various programs at UG, PG and other levels encompassing all the relevant fields of both modern eras as also traditional teachings are offered in the university
- The university is situated in the extremely serene and picturesque place of Shantiniketan in West Bengal providing an ideal atmosphere for the students to pursue studies
- It is spread over an area of seven acres of land and has the unique feature of conducting classes out in the open in harmony with nature.
- AsCentral University, it has everything that justifies its status and reputation including the glorious departments having highly qualified and esteemed faculties.