Sikkim Manipal University Distance MBA
Sikkim Manipal University is one of the most popular distance education universities in the country. It was established in the year 1995. The university was set up through a unique partnership between the Sikkim Government and Manipal Pai Education. The university has 57 programs across 10 disciplines.
Sikkim Manipal University Distance Education (SMU-DE), the distance education branch of the university was established in 2001 to cater the higher education needs of the students and working professionals.
The 2-year Distance MBA program offered by SMU-DE ensures that the educational needs of students are fulfilled without attending regular classes. The syllabus is updated regularly in consultation with industry experts and with practical scenarios to make the students market ready.
The institute since its inception has enrolled over 5 lakh students.
The key features of this program are mentioned below-
- Course material designed by industry experts
- Self Learning Material
- Easy payment options
- Dedicated placement cell
- 24 x 7 Learning
- Student support services & diligent grievance redressal system
- SMU-DE App
Admission Procedure for Distance MBA from Sikkim Manipal University
SMU Offers MBA, BBA, BSc IT, MSc IT, BCA, MCA and BA programs in distance mode.
- STEP:1- Visit the official site of Sikkim Manipal Distance Education and fill out the request form (shown below) and click on “submit” button.
- STEP:2- Once the details are filled out, an SMU counselor will contact you and ask basic details for a better understanding.
- STEP:3- Once done, the application form will be emailed to you. Fill out the application form with personal, educational details. Candidate also needs to pay application fee.
- STEP:4- Attach the necessary documents, pay the application fee and submit the form. Please note only scanned copies of the documents should be uploaded with the application.
- STEP:5- The institute will scrutinize your application and inform you about the status.
The fee for the course after admission to the course may be paid online via Credit/Debit card/Netbanking or Demand Draft.
University may ask the students to produce original copies of the certificates for verification at any point during the course.
If candidate is enrolled at SMU, s/he cannot pursue any other program at SMU or any other university simultaneously.
Sikkim Manipal University Distance MBA Fee Structure
Total course fee for SMU Distance MBA is Rs. 85,000/- (Rs.21,250 per semester). Fee can be paid installments.
The fee is inclusive of the cost of Examination fee of Rs 5,000.
Payments can be done via DD in favour of “Sikkim Manipal University, DE” payable at par.
The fee can also be aid by Master/VISA Credit or Debit card or netbanking facility.
Fee is generally not refunded. But university may decide to refund the fee in certain cases based on application made by the candidate. Refund amount is calculated after deducting course fee till current semester and 25% of the remaining amount.
The university has a tie-up with Bajaj Finserv for providing no-cost EMI’s to its students. Kindly contact your counselor for more details.
- The facility of EMI is available only at the time of admission. Once the candidate is enrolled or has paid the initial fee, he/she cannot avail this facility,
- Those candidates who are provided a scholarship under any of the 3 schemes
Students can also opt for EMI facility provided by Credit Card companies.
Sikkim Manipal University Scholarships
The institute offers 3 scholarships to its students-
Differently abled students can avail 30% concession in fee if they produce valid a certificate from an authorised doctor.
Defence Personnel Scholarship
University offers 30% scholarship to in-service, retired and outgoing officers of the Indian Armed Forces, Indian Coast Guard and Paramilitary Forces (CRPF, BSF, CISF). Scholarship is also applicable to the relatives of such defence personnel.
Scholarship for students belonging to North East Region
- Applicable to students from Sikkim and North east region.
- Fee waiver 30% applicable to students from Sikkim, Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Meghalaya Manipur, Tripura and Mizoram with valid address proof.
SMU Distance MBA Eligibility Criteria
The candidate needs to have 3 year bachelor’s degree from any recognized university. The candidate also need to qualify SMAT (SMU Management Aptitude Test) or any other national entrance test like MAT/CAT/GMAT. The minimum score required in the entrance test is 40 percentile.
The university through its MBA course strives to provide its students with the necessary skills in management and enhance the student’s analytical ability. The university offers 4 specializations for the Distance MBA course.
Below mentioned is the criterion along with subjects/topics which will be covered in the course of study.
- Sales Distributions & Supply Chain Management
- Consumer Behavior
- Retail Management
- Marketing Research
- International Marketing
- Advertising management & Sales Promotion
- Sales Distribution & Chain Supply Management
|Information Systems Management
- Software Engineering
- Database Management Systems
- Computer Networks
- Business Intelligence & Tools
- Java & Web Design
- Technology Management
- Enterprise Resource Planning
|Human Resource Management
- Manpower Planning and Resourcing
- HR Audit
- Employee Relations Management
- Management & Organization Development
- Compensation Benefits
- Change Management
- Performance Management & Appraisal
- Talent Management & Employee Retention
- Treasury Management
- Merchant Banking & Financial Services
- Insurance & Risk Management
- International Financial Management
- Security Analysis & Portfolio Management
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Taxation Management
- Internal Audit & Control
SMU Important Dates
|Commencement of academic session
||Last week of March
||3rd week of May to 4th week of July
The university is approved by the UGC, and the Distance Education Council (DEC) to conduct its programs. The university is also an ISO 9001:2008 institution.
SMU is one of the topmost institutions in the country for distance education. Below are the various awards and accolades presented to SMU-DE-
- Won Silver Award in the “Digital Learning Transformation” category by Learning Award Academy 2018
- Awarded Best University in Open & Distance Learning, ASSOCHAM 2014
- CSR Award for Best distance learning Institute in 2013
- Silicon India Award 2012
- E-Maharashtra Award 2012
- Asia’s Best B-school under the distance education category in 2011
- Business World Award 2011
- CSR Award 2011
It is also a member of the International Council for Open & Distance Education (ICDE).
For any admission related queries as well as other queries related to the courses, the student might contact:
Directorate of Distance Education, Sikkim Manipal University,
SMIT Campus, Majitar, Ragpo, East Sikkim, India- 737136
Telephone – 18002667777
E-mail: [email protected]
SMU Placement Support
The University is well equipped to provide the students with job placement opportunities. It holds regular placements–drives at its campus (over 600 have already been held). Currently, over 9000 students have been placed through job opportunities and SMU Alumni network.
The Institute also organizes job fairs regularly in various cities. Top recruitment companies are part of these job fares.
A few prominent companies that have recruited from the institute are as follows:
||Excide Life Insurance
SMU Distance MBA Study Centers
As per the Supreme Court Judgment dated 26th June 2015, all SMU Study Centres have been closed down.
Therefore, the institute does not have any centre located in any state of the country. The institute will not be responsible for any communication between the student and any “unofficial franchise/study centre”. If found, kindly report to the university.
Updated On – 29-Nov-2019