Sidho Kanho Birsha University, Purulia was established by West Bengal acT XII of 2010. The University is named after three illustrious tribal leaders who mastered courage to put up valiant resistance against British imperialist oppression. The list of 24 colleges affiliated to this University was published in 2011 nineteen degree colleges, four B.Ed colleges & one private college. The legislative act for the establishment of the University was enacted in 2010 and the First Vice-Chancellor Dr. Tapati Mukherjee joined in 2010. Nearly 13 acres of land was donated by Jagannath Kishore College, Purulia, with a rare benevolent mission aiming at the establishment of a center of Higher Learning which will conform to the concept of knowledge as a means of emancipation sa vidya ya vimuktaye.
Their vision is to encourage and provide instructions, teachings, training and researches in various branches of learning and courses of study and to promote advancement and dissemination of knowledge and learning in Humanities, Science, Commerce and Engineering. Dr. Tapati Mukherjee, the first Vice-Chancellor achieved several accolades in her academic career. Securing the rank of Eighth in Humanities in H.S. examination in 1968, she ranked First class Second in Sanskrit Honours from Lady Brabourne college, Calcutta and was a topper in M.A. examination in Sanskrit from C.U. Recipient of several college and University medals and Scholarships, she did her M. Phil. and Ph. D. in Comparative Literature from Jadavpur University, Calcutta. Not declared fit to receive Central/UGC assistance under Section 12 (B) of the UGC Act-1956.
Why join SKBU:
- Academics- The university provides more than 15 post-graduate, Under-Graduate courses, Diploma, and Research Courses
- Award- The Vice-Chancellor has been awarded Best-Citizen of India award for giving her tremendous contribution in the field of Education
- Research Projects- The Vice-Chancellor of the University has more than 18 research projects under her contribution
- Academic Events- The university regularly organizes national/International seminars, cultural programs, and workshops etc. for students
Department of Commerce
Department of Humanities
- Anthropology & Tribal Studies
- Political Science
Department of Science
Address:Ranchi Road, P.O.- Purulia Sainik School, Purulia, West Bengal 723104
Phone: 03252 202 419