National Institute of Science and Technology [NIST] is a private engineering college established in 1996. The college was previously affiliated to Berhampur University, it is currently affiliated to Biju Patnaik University of Technology. It is the first engineering college to be established in southern Odisha.
The college is located in Palur Hills which is 12 km from Berhampur in Southern Odisha.
The institute provides B.Tech. and M.Tech. degrees as well as MCA, MBA and PGDM courses.
The admission UG programs are based on marks scored in class 12 examinations as well as the Odisha Joint Entrance Examination [OJEE]. Admission to PG programs is based on marks scored in Bachelor courses.
NIST Berhampur is spread across 6 acres green campus with student strength of 4500.There are separate hostels for boys and girls.
The institute has a separate placement cell and conducts programslike Pre-Placement Training Programmes, Summer Training Programmes and Industry-Academia Interactions. The average placement percentage of the institute has been 85%.
Application and Admission Procedure
The students who wish to take admissions in the engineering and technology courses need to check the eligibility process before appearing for the admission process. The candidates need to qualify the JEE mains examination before the filling of the online application form.
How to apply
- The candidates need to appear for the JEE mains. The application form is available on the official website of the institute.
- The personal and the academic details need to be provided in order to complete the first phase of the application process. The form can be downloaded from the official website and then filled accordingly and submitted to the address National Institute of Science & Technology, Palur Hills, Berhampur, ODISHA-761008.
- The scanned documents of the photographs and the signature along with the other documents must be attested and attached. The dimensions specified must be kept in mind.
- The last step is to make the payment. The candidates can pay 500 INR as the application fee in the favour of "NIST Business School" payable at Berhampur, Ganjam, Odisha in the form of demand draft or via the online networks of payment.
Hostel and Facilities
- There are 4 hostels, 2 for boys and 2 for girls
- On-campus seats for boys is 600, off campus is 500 whereas On-campus seats for girls is 600 and 300 off campus.
On campus medical facility: The on campus medical facility is vital for the students and any sort of emergency situation is expertly dealt with by the doctors present.
Smart Classrooms: The smart classes present in the campus have all the requisite technology to facilitate students with the ability to learn and enjoy the studies at the same time
- Transport facilities: There are a total of 18 buses and 48 staff members working with maximum efficiency
- Food and Amenity hall
- Fitness centre with proper equipments
- Playground with a big circumference for convenient execution of games and sports
- Yoga centre
- Seminar Hall
|Maximum salary offered|
|Minimum salary offered|
|Average salary offered|
|MBA||OJEE||Schedule Caste||1990 Rank||2016|
|MBA Finance||OJEE||General||827 Rank||2016|
|MBA Marketing||OJEE||General||827 Rank||2016|
|MBA Human Resource||OJEE||General||423 Rank||2016|
|MBA Marketing||OJEE||General||429 Rank||2016|
|MBA Finance||OJEE||General||916 Rank||2016|
|B.Tech Computer Science and Engineering||JEE-Main||General||148421 Rank||2016|
|B.Tech Information Technology||JEE-Main||General||227748 Rank||2016|
|B.Tech Electronics & Communication Engineering||JEE-Main||General||229441 Rank||2016|
|B.Tech Mechanical Engineering||JEE-Main||General||288715 Rank||2016|
|B.Tech Civil Engineering||JEE-Main||General||302076 Rank||2016|
|B.Tech Electrical and Electronics Engineering||JEE-Main||General||331979 Rank||2016|
|B.Tech Electrical Engineering||JEE-Main||General||417624 Rank||2016|
|B.Tech Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering||JEE-Main||General||762880 Rank||2016|
|B.Tech Civil Engineering||JEE-Main||Schedule Caste||337295 Rank||2016|
|B.Tech Computer Science and Engineering||JEE-Main||Schedule Caste||501484 Rank||2016|
|B.Tech Electronics & Communication Engineering||JEE-Main||Schedule Caste||515559 Rank||2016|
|B.Tech Mechanical Engineering||JEE-Main||Schedule Caste||638500 Rank||2016|
|B.Tech Electrical and Electronics Engineering||JEE-Main||Schedule Caste||808953 Rank||2016|
|B.Tech Information Technology||JEE-Main||Schedule Caste||837295 Rank||2016|
|B.Tech Mechanical Engineering||JEE-Main||Schedule Tribe||985512 Rank||2016|
|B.Tech Computer Science and Engineering||JEE-Main||Schedule Tribe||391613 Rank||2016|
|B.Tech Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering||JEE-Main||General||136066 Rank||2016|
|B.Tech Electrical Engineering||JEE-Main||General||242627 Rank||2016|
To pursue MBA at NIST students must satisfy following eligibility criteria.
The minimum qualification to apply for admission to the MBA Program is a Bachelor's Degree (10+2+3 years of education) in any discipline which is recognized by the Association of Indian Universities, or any degree equivalent to the Bachelor's Degree, with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks in the Secondary / Higher Secondary / Pre-degree Examinations (or equivalent) conducted by a Board / University.
Those appearing for the final year of the Bachelor's degree examinations may also apply subject to completing their examinations or viva-voce, if any, before June 30. Such candidates will however have to fulfil the above eligibility requirements in respect of minimum academic qualifications for admission and furnish evidence to that effect latest by October 31. At the time of interview and/or admissions, they will be required to produce a letter from their College Principal / Head of Institution stating the exam dates.
Candidates with appropriate industry experience will be given preference for admissions. Their work experience will be given due weightage in terms of the organization, position held and duration.
Selected candidates will be called to attend Group Discussions and Personal Interviews. Multiple Group Discussion & Personal Interview lists will be released in phases, both before and after the Application Deadline. The intimation for interview & group discussion is done through registered post and e-mail. In the case of some programs, Group Discussion may not be conducted, in favor of a rigorous interview process.
The selection criteria for calling candidates for admissions is based on multiple factors as follows:
- Past academic performance
- Quality & content of the answers in the application form
- Work experience, if any , in terms of job content & organization
- Group Discussion & Interview performance (applicable for final admissions only)
- Extra curricular activities, other interests & accomplishments
- Competitive Test score (CAT, MAT, XAT, CMAT)
A combination of all the above factors are used to determine the eligibility of candidates to be offered final admission. Test scores are NOT the only criteria for selection.
A high test score does not guarantee a call for Group Discussion/Interview. The selection criteria are based on multiple factors as mentioned above.