The history of our institution, Maharaja Srischandra College dates back to 1941, when the college was set up in a very busy North Calcutta neighbourhood Shyambazar by Maharaja Srischandra Nandy in memory of his father Maharaja Manindra Chandra Nandy, a renowned philanthropic Zamindar of Cossimbazar. An equally illustrious personality as his father, Maharaja Srischandra greatly contributed to the socio-cultural movement of Bengal in the early 20th century. Some local workers and academicians of the locality in which the college is situated encouraged Maharaja Srischandra to set up a college that would cater to the huge section of students residing in this locality. A proposal was accepted and the college was set up in 1941 by converting an old dilapidated building, which was previously functioning as a charitable dispensary. The building is now known as the common property of three separate colleges – Maharani Kasiswari College (Morning), Maharaja Manindra Chandra College (Day) and Maharaja Srischandra College (Night). Maharaja Srischandra College as a separate and independent institution emerged in 1964.
Our founder Maharaja Srischandra Nandy (1897-1952), was the son of Maharaja Manindra Chandra Nandy and Maharani Kashiswari of Khirgram, Burdwan. He was the last zamindar of the Cossimbazar Raj before the abolition of the zamindari system. He represented the Bengal zamindars in the Fazlul Haque – Shyamaprasad ministry. He entered the Bengal Legislative Assembly from the landlord’s quota in 1937, and became a minister in the cabinet of Ak Fazlul Haque (1937-1942). The Maharaja was also a popular figure in the sphere of Fine Arts, Literature, Music, Sports and educational activities. He died in 1952.
In the beginning Maharaja Srischandra College offered a Bachelors Degree in Commerce. Gradually due to the demands from students it started offering various subjects from the Humanities stream. In recent years there has been a widening of the scope of our service since hundreds of general students, both male and female, are taking admission in the college.
Our logoVidyam AmritamashnuteymeaningImmortality is achieved through Knowledgeis aslokataken from theIshopanishads. Over the years Maharaja Srischandra College (estd. 1964) has indeed tried to spread this nectar of knowledge amongst all strata of the society. Our college mainly attracts students from economically weaker classes and the institution extends its hands towards them to help these students achieve overall excellence.
Mission of the College
To provide education on mass base
- To maintain gender equality
- To address the problems of the socially and economically weaker section of our students
- To impart education through modern technical knowhow
- Pursue the holistic development of a student
Basic objectives of our college
- To provide need based education to the student community.
- Widening the scope of the teaching-learning process.
- Catering to the academic interests of pupils suffering from financial constraints.
- Providing scope of study to students who have discontinued study for a certain period.
- Spreading consciousness among students against social prejudice, discrimination and inequality.
- Motivating our students towards various cultural activities, motivating physical activities and health awareness among students.
- To develop career consciousness, self-reliance and self-sufficiency among the students.
- The college seeks to generate a philanthropic attitude towards the underprivileged section of our society.
- Above all, to develop as an institution of academic excellence
Why to join Maharaja Sris Chandra College, Kolkata?
1. Excellent team of Faculty –The college has highly qualified, and experienced faculty, several staff members are involved in research activities, guidance of students for the future studies and publication of articles.
2. Manifold co-curricular activities –The college works towards motivating students towards various cultural activities, inculcating physical activities and health awareness among students. For this purpose, various facilities are provided to the students in the form of a sports ground, sports equipment among others. Activities like NCC, NSS are also provided to the students for their fitness and awareness.
3. Practical exposure –A numbers of seminars and conferences are held in the college for the benefit of the students. For the same purpose, seminar rooms and conference rooms have been constructed. Many guest speakers had also been invited in the past to the providing invaluable knowledge and information to the students.
For more details about admission please contact :-
Phone :033 2533 5133