- The Government of Karnataka through the Kannada University Act 1991 established Kannada University, Hampi, in 1991.
- Though the University was established in 1991, the demand for such a University was there in Karnataka since the mid-1980s.
- The Government of Karnataka established a commission under the chairmanship of Sadashiva Wodeyar to look into the demand.
- This Committee after consulting various intellectuals, education experts, political thinkers, social activists, literary personalities and representatives of people came out with a report and recommended the establishment of the much-needed Kannada University.
- The present campus of Kannada University spans a hilly terrain of 700 acres situated amidst a natural forest and beautiful lake.
- A small brook runs through the campus.
- The campus is named Vidyaranya after the 'founder-Guru' of Vijayanagara Empire.
- It also means the forest of knowledge. The newly constructed buildings of Kannada University blends into the ambience of the architecture of Hampi historical structures.
Contact Number: (08394) 241337, 241334, 241335
Fax: (08394) 241334, 241335