Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) was established in year 1985. It is the world’s largest university with 40 lakh students enrolled in it across 21 schools of studies and 67 regional centers, and with the help of 29 overseas partners. The university was established to provide an opportunity to the students from the disadvataged sections of the society. It quickly gained a lot of popularity and today degree from IGNOU is considered at par with full-time degree from any other university. Working professions typically face a big hurdle in completing their education while still working in their jobs. IGNOU offers an excellent opportunity allowing them to complete their education at their own pace.
IGNOU MBA Course Overview
MBA is offered by the school of management studies which was started in 1987. It offers 2 masters programs in management –
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Master of Business Administration (Banking & Finance) (MPB)
The MBA course has 21 modules and students need not complete all of them. The final degree and specialization awarded to the student will depend on the number of IGNOU courses complete by her.
|Diploma in management (DIM)
||MS-1, MS-2, MS-3
||Only 2 out of MS-4, MS-5, MS-6, MS-7
|Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGIDM)
||11 courses from MS-1 to MS-11
||5 courses from one of the 5 specialization streams
||Only 1 course out of
||MS-92, MS-93, MS-94, MS-96, MS-97
IGNOU allows you to complete the course at your conveniece.
The MBA course can be completed in anywhere between 2.5 to 8 years.
The study material for the MBA program is offered in multimedia format. Students will receive printed courses material through post. They will also get access online audio/video material that they can access from anywhere. Students can also interact with faculty at the study centers and clarify their doubts.
IGNOU Distance MBA Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for the admission at IGNOU for distance MBA are as follows:
- Education – The candidate must be a graduate from any recognized university with a minimum of 50% aggregate score (45% for reserved category students), with 3 years of managerial or supervisory experience. The candidate must otherwise have a professional degree in Medicine/Engineering/Accountancy/Cost and Works/Law, with a 50% aggregate in the degree.
- Exam Score – The candidate must qualify for the OPENMAT exam that will be held that academic year by IGNOU.
- Age – The program entails no age restrictions.
Eligibility criteria for Master of Business Administration (Banking & Finance) (MPB)
To offer MBA education to banking professionals IGNOU has a specialized MBA program in collaboration with Indian Institute of Banking and Finance (IIBF)
- Candidate should be a member of Indian institute of bankers
- S/he should hold a graduate degree (no less than 3 years in duration) from a recognized university
- S/he should have passed CAIIB exam
- S/he should have at least 2 year’s of experience in banking and finance sector
MBA Courses Offered by IGNOU
- MBA programs
- Master of Business Administration
- PG Diploma Courses
- Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resource Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Financial Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Operations Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Marketing Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Financial Markets Practice
- Diploma Courses
IGNOU MBA Admission Procedure
Step 1 – Verify the eligibility
Start by verifying that you are eligible for the program. Please refer the details under Eligibility section.
Step 2 – Obtain the prospectus
To begin with the IGNOU admission after verifying the candidate’s eligibility he must obtain the prospectus. The IGNOU prospectus may be obtained in person by paying Rs. 1000/- in cash at any of the regional centers or study centers of IGNOU Headquarters. The candidate may obtain it online by downloading from the IGNOU Official Website, and pay the amount of Rs. 1050/- by DD and attach along with the filled in form. Furthermore, the candidate may also request the application by post, by sending a DD in favor of IGNOU.
Step 3 – Apply for IGNOU OPENMAT
The candidate must fill in the form 1 which is the application for OPENMAT and send it to the IGNOU Headquarters (address given below), on or before the last date of submitting form 1.
Registrar Student Evaluation Division,
Block 12, IGNOU Maidan Garhi,
New Delhi – 110 068
Step 4 – Prepare and clear OPENMAT exam
The candidate must then write the OPENMAT exam, and pass it. The exam is conducted twice every year. The university decides the cut-off score every year and candidate must clear the cutoff to become eligible for the course.
Step 5 – Complete the application and pay the fee
Send the filled in form 2 of the application form along with the required documents to the IGNOU Headquarters for admission. The required documents include: Attested copies of documents proving educational qualification, Original OPENMAT Scorecard and Hall Ticket, Category and Experience Certificate (if applicable), filled up identity card (Identity card is available in the prospectus). The applicant will also need to send the program fee as a DD along with the Form-2.
Ignou Course Schedule
Fee Structure for IGNOU MBA
The total program fee for the distance MBA course is Rs. 31, 500/- that can be distributed as Rs. 1500/- for each of the 21 courses the program entails.
The Fee for international students from the SAARC Countries is Rs. 3000/- per course, and Rs. 63, 000/- for the entire MBA. Similarly for the international Non-SAARC students the fee per course is USD $250, and a total program fee of $7350.
The fee may be paid online or through demand draft in favour of IGNOU or also through Bank Challans at the designated India Bank and IDBI Bank Branches. Students need to mention their name, address and enrollement number at the back of the DD.
Besides the course fee, candidates are also required to Rs. 120 examiniation fee per course at the time of exams.
Fee once paid will not be refunded though university will pay it back only if the admission was denied.
Exam form submission dates
During the course of the program, candidate is required to pay fees related to various activities –
Examination Form Fee
Students need to pay exam fees based on when the form for a particular exam cycle is submitted.
||Semester Form Submitted between
|January To June Cycle
|July To December Cycle
Project Course Fees
As part of the MBA program, candidates can take up the project course MS-100 to get acquainted with the various practical application of the managerial concepts. The course is considered to be equivalent to two courses and students need to pay Rs. 3000 to get admitted into it.
Fee of Rs.1500 is to be paid if Student fails to complete a course within 4 semesters. Students are also required to pay the re-registration fee in case they decide to change the course.
All students including the reserved category students are expected to pay the full tuition fee for the MBA course, but SC/ST students are eligible for scholarships from the central government. The students are advised to collect the forms from the Directorate of Social Welfare or Office of the Social Welfare Officer of the concerned State Government, and submit the filled in forms to the corresponding authority, to obtain the refund of the tuition fees.
Distance MBA Specializations Offered
IGNOU offers a wide range of specializations in its MBA courses, of which most are offered in collaborations with other universities. The university offers MBA specializations in:
- Aviation Business
- Banking and Finance
- Biotechnology Management
- Corporate governance
- Hospitality and Healthcare management
- Information Technology (IT)
- Network Infrastructure
- Production and Operations
- Telecom Management
The courses on offer at IGNOU are AICTE approved, and the university is recognized as a central university by the UGC and has its courses approved by the Distance Education Council, India.
Indira Gandhi National Open University is the largest Open University in the world, and is very well known for all its courses. Careers360 has ranked it as the best university for Distance Education throughout India in 2012. IGNOU has also ranked 17th among the traditional universities in India competing with the IITs, NITs, IIMs, etc. The university is ranked as the best institute in terms of reach and resources.
OPENMAT for the MBA Programs is held twice a year, and the student must complete and submit his applications in time to be eligible for admissions. Once the candidate clears the exams, s/he can take admission in any of the following 2 semesters.
||July 2018 or January 2019
||January 2019 or July 2019
The following are the important dates in the timeline of admissions at IGNOU:
Last date for submission of Application forms:
- OPENMAT XLII – 15-Jul-2017
- OPENMAT XLIII – 15-Dec-2017
Entrance Exam Dates:
- OPENMAT XLII – 20-August-2017 (10:00AM TO 1:00PM)
- OPENMAT XLIII – 4-Feb-2018 (10:00AM TO 1:00PM)
Admission application dates:
- OPENMAT XLII – Session January 2018 – 30-Nov-2017
- OPENMAT XLII – Session July 2018 – 31-Jul-2018
- OPENMAT XLIII – Session July 2018 – 31-May-2018
- OPENMAT XLIII– Session January 2019 – 31-Nov-2018
For any enquiries regarding admissions, the applicant may contact:
Student Registration Division (SRD)
Maidan Garhi, New Delhi-110068, India
Phone No. :011- 29532741
Fax No: 011- 29532686
E-Mail: [email protected]
The university has a dedicated Campus Placement Cell, to support the students in placement after completion of their distance education courses. The Placement cell is distributed over 6 regional centers of IGNOU having large IGNOU alumni so as to reach out the IGNOU alumni more effectively. The CPC cell of the university organizes Job fests for placement in the college.
IGNOU has a vast number of regional centers and study centers throughout the country and abroad, and caters to an overly large number of students. The details about the study centers are very well documented in the prospectus of the university. Nevertheless, the details may be obtained at: http://www.ignou.ac.in/ignou/aboutignou/studycentre/centre
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is IGNOU degree valid for MBA?
- Yes IGNOU graduate degree is valid for MBA program from any AICTE/UGC recognized institute in India.
- How to apply for mba in IGNOU?
- You need to appear for the OpenMAT exam which is held twice a year. Once you clear the exam you need to pay the course fee and submit the admission form.
- Where to get IGNOU mba prospectus?
- You can get a pdf version of the form online on IGNOU website. You can also get it from the regional study centers. Please note that you need to pay Rs.1000 for the prospectus.
- What is the eligibility for mba in IGNOU?
- The candidates must have completed the graduation with 50% marks. They also need to clear Openmat exam. IGNOU also requires that candidate should have 3 years of relevant experience.
- When is IGNOU openmat mba entrance examination?
- The exam is conducted twice a year August and Feb. But the dates might vary from year to year.
- What is the value of doing mba from IGNOU?
- IGNOU is the largest open university in the world and it has earned quite a reputation in recent years. Many working executives working in banks and other government offices take up IGNOU courses to advance their career. Hence IGNOU courses have earned a wide acceptance in Indian corporate sector.
- How much fees for mba in IGNOU?
- IGNOU MBA costs Rs. 31,500. You might also need to pay additional fees for exams.
Last Updated: October 10, 2018