What is TNEA?
TNEA stands for Tamil Nadu Engineering Admissions. It is a procedure conducted and managed by Anna University, Chennai (www.annauniv.edu) for admission in engineering colleges of Tamil Nadu state. No entrance examination will be conducted by Anna University for admissions. Seats will be allotted to the candidates based on their performance in their 10+2 examination. The university will fix a cut-off percentage and those who will fulfill the cut off criteria will be offered admission.
|TNEA 2018 Overview
||Tamil Nadu Engineering Admissions
|Commonly Known As
|Type of Exam
|Level of Exam
|Merit List Publishing Date
||The fourth week of June 2018 (tentative)
||State Government University
Structure of TNEA
There will be no entrance examination for admissions in engineering courses. The selection will be done on the basis of marks scored in the qualifying examination i.e. 10+2 or equivalent. Candidates are expected to regularly visit the Website of Anna University for the Official Notification. TNEA will be conducted only once in an academic session.
Anna University reserves the right of deciding the cut off percentage according to marks secured by candidates in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics. Based on the cut-off decided, students can apply for admission in engineering in these institutions:
|Name of the Institute
||Number of Seats
|Thiagarajar College of Engineering, Madhurai
|PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore
|College of Engineering, Anna University, Chennai
|Madras Institute of Technology, Chennai
|Kumaraguru College of Technology, Coimbatore
|Kongu Engineering College, Erode
|Coimbatore Institute of Technology, Coimbatore
|Adhiyamaan College of Engineering, Hosur
|Velammal Engineering College, Chennai
|St.Joseph’s College of Engineering, Chennai
In the list given above, following are government colleges:
- College of Engineering, Anna University, Chennai
- Madras Institute of Technology, Chennai
- Coimbatore Institute of Technology, Coimbatore
The medium of the instructions regarding selection procedure will be in English. A candidate must apply to a college according to stream availability and the number of offered seats. Only those candidates will be considered qualified who will score a minimum acceptable mark as set by the Anna University, Chennai.
Candidates can have a look at the previous year cut-off of TNEA by visiting http://cutoff.annauniversitycounselling.com/.
This will help them to have an idea of the trend of minimum scoring marks required for qualification and be eligible for admission.
The eligibility criteria for appearing in TNEA are as follows:
- Only those candidates are eligible who are from Tamil Nadu state and have completed their 10+2 or an equivalent education from there itself.
- Candidates who don’t belong to Tamil Nadu but have completed their 10+2 or equivalent education from the state are eligible for registration.
- Candidates who have a domicile in Tamil Nadu but have completed their 10+2 or equivalent education from some other state are also eligible for applying for TNEA.
- Such candidates have to be in possession of domicile certificate while attending the counselling process.
- Candidates whose parents are government employees are also eligible to apply. Their eligibility will be provisional as they will have to submit a proof that the parent is working in Tamil Nadu for last five years continuously.
- Children of officers of All India Service Tamil Nadu cadre are also eligible for TNEA.
- Minimum age requirement is 18 years whereas the maximum age must not exceed 25 years.
Qualification criteria required for TNEA 2018 are as follows:
- Candidates have to complete their 10+2 or equivalent education with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as their compulsory subjects. There should not be any compartmental in any of the appeared subjects.
- General category candidates have to ensure that they have a minimum of 50% marks in the qualifying examination. Whereas, a minimum of 45% marks is required for candidates belonging to OBC category.
- Minimum requirement of marks for MBC, DNC, SC, ST, and SCA category students is 40%.
Application Form and Submission Procedure
Forms for TNEA 2018 will be filled in both online and offline mode. The application will be available in the third week of April 2018 on the official websiteof Anna University, Chennai www.annauniv.edu.The offline application for the same will be available at TNEA designated center. It can also be purchased by post. Applicants have to submit only one application(either online or offline). Multiple applications will lead to rejection of candidature.
The details filled in the application form should be according to the matriculation certificate. Any discrepancy detected will lead to rejection of the application. So before filling up the form candidates must carefully read all the instructions. Candidates have to upload their scanned photo, thumb impression and signature in prescribed format while registering for the examination. In case of an offline application, newly clicked coloured passport photograph (not more than 3 months old) is to be pasted. The signature should be put in a very clear manner.
Once the application is successfully submitted or completed, candidates have to send it along with the necessary documents to the following address:
Tamil Nadu Engineering Admissions
Chennai – 600025
For the list of required documents, candidates must consult the official notification of TNEA 2018.
Candidates belonging to SC/ST category will be given concession in the examination fees. Those who will opt for online mode of payment will have to pay the fees in the following manner:
- General category candidates: Rs 500/-.
- OBC/SC/ST category candidates: Rs 250/-.
Candidates who will choose to pay the fees in offline mode will have to pay the fees in the following manner:
- General category candidates: Rs 700/-.
- OBC/SC/ST category candidates: Rs 450/-.
There will be facilitation counters established for payment of fees for those who want to pay fees in offline mode. Candidates opting for online mode will have the following options to pay the fees:
- Credit Card
- Debit Card
- Net Banking
Here is the gist of the steps involved in online application:
- Fill the online form with correct details by registering on the official website i.e. website of Anna University annauniv.edu.
- Carefully fill all the personal and academic details.
- Upload recently clicked thecoloured passport sized photograph, thumbimpression, and signature. Follow instructions accordingly in case of offline application.
- Complete the payment process by using a preferred mode.
- Keep the application form safely so that it can be used in the later process of selection.
Registration card of TNEA 2018 can be downloadedfrom the official website www.annauniv.edu on successful completion of the application. Candidates have to regularly visit the official website for updates on releasing of cut-off and other admission related procedure. The registration process is expected to kick start in the third week of April 2018. Only those candidates will be issued registration cards who would have successfully completed the payment process.
In case the candidate qualifies for the next round of selection process, counselling city and venue will be conveyed on the official website. In no case, the city or the venue will be changed. Candidates won’t be allowed to attend the counselling process at any alternative centre.
For downloading the registration card, the registration number will be required. Therefore, candidates should carefully note down their respective registration number. The registration card is to be downloaded by the candidate and no separate communication will be done regarding this. The registration card will bear the following information-
- Roll Number
- Father’s Name
- Scanned Signature
- Communication address
- Conduct and pre-requisites for the selection process
TNEA’s merit list is expected to be releasedin the fourth week of June 2018. The registration will be invited only once. Hence, those candidates who don’t turn up for the same will not be considered for the selection process.
After completion of the registration process, a cut-off will be released by Anna University. This will be the minimum marks required by the candidates to seek admission in a college. The declared cut-off will be published on the official website. The cut-off will be decided by considering the following factors:
- Number of candidates
- Seats availability
- 10+2 or equivalent examination performance
Priority will be given to those students who will secure good marks in the qualifying examination. The rank list is expected to be released in the fourth week of June 2018. Admissions will be given purely on merit basis. Following steps will be involved in the counselling process:
- On the basis of position secured in the merit list, candidates will be called for the counselling process.
- Mode of counselling will be notified on the official website.
- The counselling is expected to start from the 4th week of June 2018.
- Reserved seats will be distributed according to the laid down rules.
- In counselling process, the college/branches will be allotted to the candidates.
- Candidates original documents will be verified during the counselling process.
- Initial deposit of Rs. 5000/- (Rs. 1000/- for SC/SCA/ST candidates belonging to Tamil Nadu) as a counselling fee is to be paid by candidates.
Following documents are required during counselling:
- 10th & 12th Mark Sheet
- 10th & 12th Passing Certificate
- Category certificate (if applicable)
- Domicile Certificate
- Identity proof
- Six passport size photograph
After the successful commencement of the TNEA 2018 counselling, candidates have to complete the admission process by visiting the institution. Candidates have to bring their allotment letter and documents during the admission process.
The notifications for the exam will start by April and these notifications will also be printed in the local newspapers to reach a wide audience.
It is advised that the candidates who are interested in applying take a look at the eligibility criteria and make sure that they fulfill all the rules specified before applying.
There is no separate exam conducted by Anna University. The marks scored by the candidate in his / her 12th grade will be taken into consideration. The total marks will be reduced to 200 to prepare the merit list. For students belonging to different state boards, their marks will be normalized based on the difficulty level of the board. For all the students aspiring to pursue a course in engineering, the marks scored by them in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics will be considered.
It is important to know the timeline of an entrance test as this helps candidates complete all the formalities within the allotted time. The following table describes the major events:
||1st week of April 2018
|Availability of application forms
||3rd week of April 2018
|Last date for submission of application form
||Last week of May 2018
|Publication of the rank list
||Last week of June 2018
|Start of counseling
||Last week of June 2018
To get a detailed timeline, please refer to the official website.
List of exam centers
There is no official exam conducted by Anna University. Admissions are entirely based on the score secured by the candidate in their 12th grade. Candidates are called for counseling based on the merit list prepared.
If a candidate needs any clarifications or is in need of help, the following are the contact details of the conducting authority.
Tamil Nadu Engineering Admissions
Chennai – 600 025
The working hours are from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM and hence candidates are requested to call the authorities only between this time. They can also send a mail detailing their doubts and the authorities will respond to your queries as soon as possible.
Colleges accepting this score
There are around 563 colleges participating in this process, offering around 1.5 lakh seats. The following are few of the colleges:
- College of Engineering, Anna University, Chennai
- Coimbatore Institute of technology
- PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore
- Velammal Engineering College, Chennai
- Madras Institute of Technology, Chennai
- Josephs College of Engineering, Chennai
- Kongu Engineering College, Erode
- RM K Engineering College
- Sriram Engineering College
- RM D Engineering College
- Indian Institute of Handloom Technology
- PM R Engineering College
- J N N Institute of Engineering
- Vel tech
- RM K College of Engineering and Technology
- Rajalakshmi School of Architecture
- Jeppiaar Institute of technology
- Adhiyamaan College of Engineering, Hosur
- Thiagarajan College of Engineering, Madurai
All the colleges affiliated with Anna University will give admissions through TNEA. To get a complete list of the participating colleges, please visit the official website.
Results Cut off
The cut off marks is the minimum marks that should be obtained by the candidate in order to qualify for the counseling session. The cut off marks will vary based on the university and stream. Additionally, cut off marks also differ based on the category. The following table gives the cut off marks for different streams for the year 2016.
||Cut off marks
|Automation and Robotics
|Computer Science and Engineering
|Electrical and Electronics Engineering
|Electronics and Communication Engineering
|Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering
|Nano Technology Engineering
Additionally, different colleges will also have their respective cut offs and candidates have to cross the college cut off to secure an admission into that college. The closing ranks for a few of the colleges based on the stream for the year 2015 is as follows:
|SSN College of Engineering
|PSG Institute of Technology and Applied Research, Coimbatore
|Madras Institute of Technology
|Government College of Engineering, Salem
|Central Electrochemical research institute, Karaikudi
|Coimbatore Institute of Technology
|Sri Venkateswara College of Engineering, Sriperumbudur
To get a complete list, visit the official website. Usually, the cut off marks will be released prior to the counseling session and candidates are requested to compare their marks with the cut off marks and then decide on the colleges and stream they want to apply to.
Reservations / Seat Distributions
There are seats reserved for people belonging to different categories. The following table gives the split up of the seats based on the categories. Every college giving admissions based on TNEA should follow this split up.
||Percentage of reserved seats
|Backward Muslim Class
|Most Backward Class and Denotified communities
|Arunthathiyars (Scheduled Caste)
People looking to secure admissions based on their category will have to produce a community certificate, proving that they belong to that community.
Based on the score secured by the applicants in their 12th grade, a merit list will be prepared and based on the list; candidates will be called for counseling. The merit list will be prepared based on the score obtained by the candidate in their 12th grade in physics, chemistry, and mathematics. If two candidates score the same marks, the tie will be resolved by considering the marks obtained in the following subjects:
- Optional Subject
If the tie still persists, then the following are considered:
- Age of the candidate
- Random number assigned – larger the number, greater the rank
Based on the merit list, call letters will be sent to the respective candidates. In the call letter, the date, time and venue of the counseling session will be mentioned.
The following are the steps to be followed during counseling:
- Payment of counseling fees
- Document verification
- Choice of stream and college
- Seat allotment
The counseling fee is Rs. 5000 for the candidates belonging to the general category. For candidates belonging to SC / ST/ SCA, the counseling fee in Rs. 1000. The first step is to pay the counseling fees. Once the counseling fee is paid, the candidate will have to verify their documents. The following is a list of documents needed by the candidate:
- Photocopy of class 10 and 12 mark sheet
- Copy of Transfer Certificate
- Copy of the candidate’s community certificate
- Copy of their 12th grade hall ticket
- Photocopy of nativity certificate
- Photocopy of first graduate certificate and first graduate joint declaration
Candidates will have to submit the photocopies and also show the originals during the verification process. If the candidate does not produce the required documents or if any discrepancies are found in the documents, they will not be allowed to attend the counseling session.
The candidates can pick their choice of college and stream that they want to pursue based on availability. Allotment of seats will be done based on the choice given by the candidate, their rank, and their category. Once a candidate is allotted a seat and if he/she is satisfied with their allotment, they need to pay the tuition fees. Only on payment of the tuition fee, will the seat be confirmed. If the candidate fails to pay the fees or does not accept their allotment, then their seat will be given to another candidate.
This procedure will be followed for all the counseling rounds. It should be noted that candidates who do not attend the counseling cannot claim admissions. If due to any reason the candidate is unable to attend the counseling session on the specified day, he/she can attend it on the next day. However, they will only be able to select the seats from the available pool of seats. Additionally, once the counseling is done and the seats have been allotted, the counseling fees will be adjusted in the tuition fees. During the counseling session, candidates will be given details about the fee structure and the course curriculum. Candidates seeking admissions under the disability quota will have to produce a certificate from the Medical Board of District concerned.
Usually, three rounds of counseling are conducted. More may be conducted if there are seats to be filled.