Established in 1987, Kuvempu University is a state public university located in Shimoga, Karnataka. It has 99 affiliated colleges under its jurisdiction and is spread across 230 acres, 28 kilometers from Shimoga. It has over 40 distance education programmes in the departments of Arts, Science, Commerce and Law at both undergraduate and post-graduate levels, with over 15000 students enrolled in 2005-06 session. Admission to Kuvempu University is highly competitive as it is ranked among best Distance Education Centres in India.
Admission and Application Procedure
- Online Form: The university only accepts online applications. The applicant has to fill up the required details in an online form (URL below) and pay the fee according to his/her choice of payment method. The final printout of the application along with supporting documents must be sent by post to the Director of Directorate of Distance Education, Kuvempu University, before the last date of application.
- While filling up the online application, candidate need a scanned copies of passport-sized photograph and signature in JPEG format. They also need a valid mobile number and email address.
- Application and Course Fee: The course fee for the undergraduate, postgraduate or diploma course must be paid along with the application. The application portal accepts the fee either as full payment or in two installments. The applicant needs to select any one of the following modes of payment-
- Online Payment by NEFT (National Electronic Fund Transfer)
- State Bank of Mysore / State Bank of India Challan
- Demand Draft drawn in favor of “Finance Officer, Kuvempu University” payable at Shimoga.
- Post-Online Application: The print out of the complete, filled out application with the candidate’s signatures on both sides of the page has to be sent to
Directorate of Distance Education,
Kuvempu University, Jnana Sahyadri, Shankaraghatta 577 451.
The following enclosures need to be supplied along with the application form-
- Original mark sheets of SSLC/PUC. PG candidates need to send a originals of degree certificate or final year marksheets. These will be sent back to the applicant after verification by authorities.
- One set of photocopies of the above mark sheets attested by a Gazetted Officer.
- DDE Part of the Fee Challan/ NEFT Form/Post Office Receipt.
- Examination Application Form and Hall Ticket form – Affix one photo on it
- Admission registration card with stamp size photo. Photo should be attested by a Gazetted Officer.
Admission Through Study Center
Candidates can see admission through study center. Application and prospectus should be collected from the study center by paying necessary application fee.
If candidate gets admitted through study center, a single Demand Draft for the full / instalment fees in favor of “The Finance Officer, Kuvempu University”, payable at Shimoga for the prescribed course fee should be submitted. Fee can also be paid in two installments.
Once the admission is confirmed, registration card along with material will be sent to study center. Students can collect these from the study center along with the originals of their education certificates.
Once the admission is confirmed, a admission registration card with enrollment number is sent to the candidate.
Last date of Application: For the 2019-20 session, the last date of application without late fine was August 31, 2019.
Distance Education Fee Structure
The fee for Kuvempu university distance education UG Course is Rs.18,515-29,420/-. For PG Course the fee is Rs.15,600-62,000/-.
||Fee Range (INR)
|Bachelor Of Arts (BA)
|Bachelor of Commerce (BCom)
|Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
|Bachelor of Science (BSc)
|Master of Arts (MA)
|Master of Commerce (MCom)
|Master of Science (MSc)
|Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- The PG students of Kuvempu University are offered a 50 % reduction in course fees for PG Diploma courses through Directorate of Distance Education (DDE).
- Non-residents of India need to pay Rs. 10,000 above the regular course fees for admission.
- Fees need to be paid during application either in full or in two instalments.
The university does not offer scholarships for the programmes listed under DDE. However, reserved category (SC/ST) students enrolled in regular MPhil or PhD courses can avail the scholarship scheme at Kuvempu University.
||Pass in 12th Standard or equivalent (or) in pre-university level.
Candidates who have passed the ITI/JOC (vocational course at any recognized institute in Karnataka) are eligible
||Pass in 12th Standard or equivalent (or) in pre-university level in Science. Candidates who have passed the ITI/JOC (vocational course at any recognized institute in Karnataka) are eligible
|Graduate Courses (MA/MCom)
||Candidates who have passed BA/ BSc/ BCom/ BBA/ BBM/ BEd/ BTech/ BSc (Agriculture) / BSc (Home Science) or equivalent of any UGC recognized institute
||Candidates who have passed BE/ BSc/ BTech/ BSc (Agriculture) / BSc (Home Science) or equivalent of any UGC recognized institute
||3 year UG degree form a recognized university with minimum 40% marks.
|PG Diploma Courses
||Any bachelor’s degree from a recognized university
Specialization/ Courses Offered
||Kannada / English / Hindi / Sanskrit / Urdu / Economics / Political Science / Sociology / History and Archaeology / Education
||Mathematics / Chemistry / Physics / Botany / Zoology / Environmental Science / Biotechnology
||PCM / CBZ
||Human Resources Management / Industrial Safety / Kannada Computer / Kannada Journalism / Marketing Management / Tourism and Hospitality Management / Translation Studies
Kuvempu University is recognized under the UGC (University Grants’ Commission) Act and is accredited by NAAC (National Assessment and Accreditation Council). The distance education programmes offered by the DDE are also recognized by the UGC Distance Education Council. Kuvempu University is also approved by NCTE (National Council of Teacher Education) and BCI (Bar Council of India).
According to the World University Ranking website, Kuvempu University has country rank of 215 and a world rank of 7396 as of 2016.
The university has been ranked 73rd in NIRF University ranking 2019.
Last date to apply for Kuvempu University Distance Education July 2019 cycle (2019-20 academic year) is 10-July-2019. With late fee, admission application can be submitted till 31-August-2019.
|Admission process begins
|Last date for application submission
|Last date for application submission with late fee of Rs.200/-
|Last date for application submission with late fee of Rs.400/-
- IVRS (24 x 7 Student Support) – 08282 256184/256185/256157/256158
- Address for Correspondence – The Director, Directorate of Distance Education, Kuvempu University, Jnana Sahyadri, Shankaraghatta – 577 451
Shimoga, Karnataka, India.
- Phone – 08282 256246, 256450
- Email – email@example.com
- Website – http://www.kuvempuuniversitydde.org
The Training and Placement Cell of Kuvempu University offers placement assistance to all admitted students, including internship guidance. Most students are placed in both public and private sector organizations with around 65% placement rate. As of 2013, the average salary package of BSc (IT) student was 1.8 lakh INR per annum.
The distance education programme of Kuvempu University has a total of 57 learning support centres. Here is a partial list of centers –
- G.S. Groups of College, # 55, 8th Cross ‘A’ Sector, Yelahanka NewTown, Bengaluru -560 064
- Sri Venkateshwara First Grade College,No. 1/18, 8th Cross Maruthi Nagar Madiwala,Bangalore -560 068
- Global Evening College, No.60/2, OMR Bendaganahalli, Near Green Field Appt. Huskur to Bommenahalli Road, Bangalore
- Ocenic College of Higher Education, #2,3,7th Cross, Bhavi Muneshwara Temple, Devinagar, Bangalore-560 094
- Prayukthi International College, # 1 & 2, Next to D-Mart, Opp. PWD Quarters, KHB Main Road, Manorayanapalya. R.T. Nagar, Bangalore-560 032
- St. Hopkins College, 63/1 Subanna Garden, Adugodi, Bangalore- 560 027
- R.S.College of Management and Science, No. 43(P1), Doddajala,Bangalore North(T),Bangalore.
- SRS First Grade College, Tumkur Karnataka India
- Bhadra Institute of Management & Information Science Studies (BIMS), Davanagere.
- Shri Satyam College, Bidara, No. 8-9-520 ” Krishna ” Devi Colony, Near Bus Stand Bidar-585 401
- Jnanadhara First Grade College, #50, Coffee Works Building Hunsuru-571105
Distance MBA Course
Kuvempu University offers two years (4 semesters) long distance MBA programme in association with ICBMS, Bangalore (International Corporate Business Management Studies Educational Trust).
Eligibility and Application Procedure: Admission to the MBA programme is done with equal weight-age to both degree results (three-year or professional Bachelor’s degree) and an entrance examination conducted by the DDE every year in June and December sessions.
Candidates who have passed 10+2+3 level degree or a professional degree from any UGC recognized institute are eligible for Distance MBA program. They also need to qualify the entrance test conducted by Kuvempu University.
Fee Structure: Total course fee for distance MBA program is 64,220/- for 4 semesters over 2 years.
Updated On – 6-December-2019